Valentine’s Day Dessert Party
It’s no secret, Valentine’s Day is our favourite holiday. And dessert…well, we can’t get enough! That’s why when it came to plan our February party, we knew we had to throw a Valentine’s Day Dessert Party. We knew February would be all about Valentine’s Day when we first committed to throwing a monthly party and we’ve been excited about it for months.
When we were thinking of the dessert party menu, we knew we had to feature our favourite Valentine’s Day treat. M&M’s! We absolutely love all the different Valentine’s Day flavours that m&m’s comes out with, but unfortunately they’re not available in Canada. We made a special trip to Target in Niagara Falls, New York specifically for m&m’s. We’re not kidding. Our Target purchases consisted of 90% candy and 10% Valentine things from their dollar section.
Here’s what we made for the party:
- chocolate cake with our favourite butter cream recipe
- white chocolate and milk chocolate covered marshmallows with sprinkles
- chocolate dipped wafers with sprinkles.
- m&m brownies and blondies
- pumped up shortbread
- and sour cream cookies with pink butter cream icing.
Oh goodness, it was so delicious!
We also found light pink heart shaped marshmallows at Target and couldn’t resist. Even though we didn’t have a plan for the marshmallows, we knew we had to have them. When we were putting the dessert party together we realized the cake looked a little bare. Even though we were using two different cake toppers, the cake was missing something and we came up with the last minute idea to add marshmallows around the base.
Another quick and easy idea we came up with was to grab something simple from the grocery store and make it special with a little extra. We bought simple wafer cookies, dipped them in chocolate and added one Just Love Valentine’s day sprinkle mix.
Party Supply List
To decorate this Valentine’s Day Dessert Party we turned to our Valentine’s Day Party in a Box and added a few extras. The Valentine’s Day Party in a box has just about everything we needed to pull off this pretty party! We used the cupcake kit, cake topper, tassel garland, xoxo banner and lots of sprinkles!
Next, we used our set of 3 heart shaped cake toppers to add a little extra love to our cake, and we made a felt heart banner by cutting out heart shapes and sewing them together.
You’ll also need m&m’s…at least we think so! We used m&m’s in place of confetti which filled the table with a fun, exciting (and edible) detail.
- Stick to a tone. We wanted the dessert party to be light and airy so we didn’t choose many bold reds or hot pinks when we were decorating.
- Layer your decor. We used our favourite tassel garland, a brand new to the shop banner and even added the felt heart garland. We also used two different cake toppers. The XOXO cake topper that comes with our Valentine’s day party in a box and a set of 3 heart shaped toppers. It really made the cake pop!
- Your cake doesn’t need to be the centrepiece of your table display. We had a 3 tiered dessert tray that we really wanted to use, but putting it off to the side made the whole thing feel off balance. Because the dessert tray was the tallest thing on our table, we made that the focal point.
Brownies and Blondies
We’ve talked before about brownies. We definitely know how to make them from scratch, but we always prefer to use a mix. It’s a perfect short cut because the mixes really are delicious. Betty Crocker is our go-to brownie mix, and honestly any kind will work. (Trust us, we’ve tried them all.) We prepared the brownies according to the package directions but added sprinkles on top before we baked them. Then, once they were out of the oven we added a generous amount of m&m’s on top. Adding the m&m’s after baking ensures they don’t crack.
For the blondies we also used a mix. Our favourite is from Presidents Choice. We added sprinkles to the batter just before pouring it into a 9×9 inch square pan and then we added more sprinkles on top and popped it in the oven. Once again, we added the m&m’s once we took it out of the oven and they were delicious!
There are so many other things that get added to a to-do list when you’re planning a party, if you can find ways to cut down the time you need to spend preparing, we think you should! Not everything needs to be made from scratch to be made with love.
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows
These are so easy!
- large marshmallows
- melting wafers in whatever kind you like. We used white melting wafers for ours.
- popsicle sticks
- sprinkles. lots of sprinkles.
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Melt the melting wafers in the microwave slowly, or in a bowl over a double boiler. Once the coating is melted, pour into a large glass.
- Put three marshmallows onto each popsicle stick and dunk into the coating, making sure to cover the bottom all the way. Let any access drip off before placing it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Sprinkle generously with your favourite sprinkle mix.
If you made something special for your favourite person, we’d love to see what you did. Use #thesprinklesisters on Instagram or even send us a little message. We are inspired by what you do as much as we hope to inspire you!
love and sprinkles,
Shelagh and Margie