Unless you’re a professional event planner, I think it’s pretty common to stress out when you’re planning a party. (Heck…I bet even event planners get stressed!) It’s a lot of work and effort and it seems like a million little things can go wrong. I’m in the middle of planning a wedding (mine!) 🙂 and there are so many decisions to be made, details to deal with, and ideas to execute. We aren’t getting married until next year, but already, my The Knot app keeps reminding me that there are things to be done.
Luckily I feel like I’m ahead of the game. I’ve planned weddings before, I’ve created ‘day of’ timelines, and I’ve photographed a lot of weddings. So far, I can honestly say I’m not stressing, I’m just getting excited. With the wedding planning always at the back of my mind, I was thinking today of a few things that I think are essential when planning a party…any party. Here’s my list of 5 party planning essentials:
- White servingware. It’s classic and gives everything you’re serving a clean slate to shine on. We used white serving dishes when we planned and executed our Unicorn Party and we’ll keep using it. It’s gorgeous and worth investing in. In Canada, one of our favourite places to grab white serving dishes is Winners or Home Sense. I’ve collected several different pieces over the years just from a quick stop at Winners every once in a while.
- A fabulous playlist. For me, music is extremely emotional and triggers memories for me all the time. Mixed tapes and homemade CD’s were something I often made for friends and family because I’m so sentimental. Every party needs a fabulous playlist but you don’t need to spend hours crafting a playlist, you can just listen online! I used to be a huge fan of the Songza app and was sad when it moved to Google Play Music, but I’ve become a happy user of Google Play Music because you can search for playlists by choosing an activity. There’s a cocktail party playlist, girls night out and even playlists for your wedding. (although I recommend a professional for your wedding music, it’s great for getting ready!)
- Something sweet. I can’t think of anyone that doesn’t have a sweet tooth and a party is a celebration! Julia Child said it best when she said “A party without cake is just a meeting.” It is my opinion that every party needs something sweet. Whether it’s cupcakes or cookies or a fabulous cake, go all out. People will love it. If you don’t have time to make something from scratch there are so many wonderful bakeries around. And if you can’t make it to a bakery, grocery store desserts can be fancy when they’re on white servingware and given a little sprinkle treatment.
- Ample seating. If you don’t have enough chairs, your party could fizzle quickly. Have you ever been to a party where there were only a few chairs to go around and that one person just wouldn’t get up? They found the good spot and they were keeping it! It’s always a good idea to have extra seating. People will mingle, but eventually, they’ll want a little rest too.
- Party favours. It’s always so appreciated when a host or hostess thanks their guests for coming. I always remember how much I loved loot bags at the birthday parties I went to in elementary school and a nice party favour gives me that same feeling of excitement. It can be simple and easy to do, but it’s always a wonderful gesture.
That’s my list! 5 things that I think are essential at any party. I’m certain my list could go on and on, so I’d like to hear what you think I should add to it! Comment below to let us know what you have to include in every party you throw!
love and sprinkles,